Tuesday, January 8, 2008

As Simple as Snow


I just had to mention one of the books I read over winter break-As Simple as Snow by Gregory Galloway, a 2006 Alex Award winner. I first heard about it while attending Michael Cart's presentation on books for YAs. It intrigued me then, and I finally got around to reading it about 2 weeks ago.

This book, while featuring the familiar premise of a weirdo "goth" girl getting together with a slightly nerdy "regular" boy, is far from formulaic. It's rather hard to describe in a few words, but the basic idea behind the book is that the girl, named Anna, amuses herself by writing obituaries for all the members of a small sleepy town. When she finishes writing the last obituary, she mysteriously disappears. Along the way, Anna befriends a boy and leaves a lovely mess of confusing clues for him to figure out.

The book is accompanied by a website, http://www.assimpleassnow.com/, which really helps immerse the reader in the world the Galloway has created. This world is filled with interesting topics such as shortwave radio numbers stations, seances, Alistair Crowley, codes, Harry Houdini, and a complete listing of all of the songs featured in the story. A most unusual mix!

I have found very few books that can effectively maintain an atmosphere of mystery without compromising the integrity of the story. This review from People magazine sums it up pretty well: "[T]his strange tale manages to creep deeply under your skin, and to stay there for some time."

Another review compares it to Jeffrey Eugenides' The Virgin Suicides, and I think that it is an appropriate comparison. Both books provide a haunting atmosphere that leaves the reader wanting more.

I plan on using this book for my booktalks, perhaps accompanied by Looking for Alaska and The Virgin Suicides. I love books that make you want to know more, and this one definitely did the job!

No comments: